Click the link in the menu bar to learn more about volunteering for my campaign!
Search This Website
Learn Why John Stephens Is The Right Choice For Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa Charter Case
John was one of four Costa Mesans who defeated the request to put the charter on the June ballot.
Below are links to the briefs filed by Stephens Friedland LLP in the trial court as well as the transcripts of the two oral arguments on the petition for writ of mandamus.
• Amicus Brief in Opposition to Ex Parte Application
• Application for leave to file Complaint in Intervention
• Brief in Opposition to Petition for Writ of Mandamus
• Hearing Transcript 3-26-12
• Hearing Transcript 3-27-12
Below are links to articles in the Daily Pilot and the OC Register regarding the Costa Mesa Charter, which chronicle the events of the case in greater detail.
Commentary: City Council Majority Has to Play By the Rules
by John Stephens. Printed in the Daily Pilot on March 21, 2012.
• Costa Mesa charter plan goes to voters in June
• Error may keep Costa Mesa charter off June ballot
• Judge to consider Costa Mesa charter ballot snafu
• Costa Mesa’s charter likely to miss June ballot
• Judge: Costa Mesa charter initiative will not appear on June ballot
• Costa Mesa clerk on leave after missing charter deadline
Costa Mesa Links
The Daily Pilot
Orange County Register
Los Angeles Times
Stephens Friedland, LLP
Costa Mesans for Responsible Government
Segerstrom Center for the Arts
OC Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Lawyers - Orange County
OC Trial Lawyers
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church School, Costa Mesa
St. John the Baptist Church Festival
Costa Mesa American Little League
Fountain Valley Girls Fastpitch Softball
Paid for by John Stephens for Costa Mesa City Council 2016 - FPPC# 1383545
All rights reserved.